Saturday, November 1, 2008

On My Way to Bridal Banquet (Part-IV)

In order to make both families satisfied, before boarding, I informed them over the land phone about my safe arrival to the Shodor ghat and approximate time of departure. So both the families knew that we had crossed nearly the half way of our journey following the Meghna river by then.
Meanwhile, my father-in-law with his heavy heart sat in front of the TV. Suddenly he noticed a breaking news "there was a tornado in the Meghna river.....many launches and boats with people in capsized...missing..." His heart started throbbing...he just jumped out from the seat, ran out for others to get it confirmed. He rang to my father at Barisal but they were not also clear how to explain the incident....My mother started crying from one end and my father-in-law's family from other end. They could barely sleep that night.
Next day, my father-in-law went to office a bit earlier than usual time and accumulated all available news papers to see the legacy of last night storm in the Meghna river. There were so many pictures of dead bodies, capsized launches, boats...... He started reading each of the lines of those papers....He could not figure out how could it happen so quickly....tears started falling on the papers....but he could neither find our names nor the launch....it vanished from earth.....!, what he found was the childhood memories of my wife....her subtle foot-steps on the doorways, veranda.... deep into his heart! He could no longer waited for, he rang our family again and again with short interval. It was 08:15 am....08:30 am...still we could not be traced out...! We were supposed to reach by next morning at 04:30 am to 05:30 am at best. All the parents of our group were expecting something very sad incidents......a heavy breeze was blowing on inside our families.....all tears went dried after too much crying....!
Meanwhile, to show our river site, I took my wife out of the cabin...a kind of "Titanic" scene had been played in front of the deck early in the morning! She was so excited...her happiness knew no bounds....every look she casted...every generous smile she offered was a bounty for me....a handful pearls of the heaven...! I became more envious when I saw the naughty breeze wrapped her around ....tickling her innocent face ...suddenly covering with her long hairs and went past smiling....! I felt like to shout at the top of my voice,"See.....I am Alexander, the Great, how dare you could do that...!"
I presumed that we were crossing the normal time of arrival. However at last we reached Barisal at about 09:00 am. Our arrival made our awaiting families so much happy those can not be explained in writing. Hearing our arrival my father immediately rang to Dhaka and called upon my angel to hand over the phone....actually he was informing our arrival news to my father-in-law's house and taking a role of commentator narrating each of our steps on the air!
We came to know all about the tornado after we reached Barisal......God forbid, we were not there at the time of tornado! Then possible we could have real memory of "Titanic"!
After two days I had my Bridal Banquet....

No comments:

Post a Comment